You’re late. A week, a few weeks. Hard to remember when you were due because it’s been busy and sometimes you’re a bit irregular.
Maybe you think it’s too early to panic and you aren’t ready to go full pregnancy test yet. Our advice is to get tested soon as then you know exactly what your dealing with and can look at all your options. If you think you can’t face having a pregnancy test yet then here’s a few things you shouldn’t bother doing that absolutely will not help you at all…
1) Doing nothing
2) Endless Googling of early pregnancy symptoms until you end up in a paranoid spiral of certainty that you’re either pregnant or dying of a tropical disease
3) Going out and getting absolutely hammered. That’s not relieving stress, that’s pretending this isn’t happening. Nice idea but you can’t pretend this away
4) Feeling your tummy to see if it’s any bigger yet and/or obssessing about every gurgle trying to figure out if it’s a fart or a baby kicking
5) Going to the toilet every half hour to see if you’ve got a period yet
6) Staying awake for hours worrying about every single possible thing that this could mean, then being exhausted and snarling mad all day at anyone who dares speak
7) Doing nothing. Seriously. It will not help
You can sit back and hope for a period to rescue you or you can take some control and get the answer your own damn self. Spare yourself a tonne of stress and don’t wait.
If this is a false alarm, take an honest look at what contraception you’ve been using. There are so many choices available to you, if you don’t trust your current method (or if you didn’t use any – we’re especially talking to you) you need to try something else. Worrying about pregnancy is stressful, taking ownership of your contraception saves you from it. Go to your doctor or health clinic – protecting people from unwanted pregnancies and STIs is what they’re about. They have all the info and all the options and will listen to what you have to say and talk to you with respect.
In the UK contraception is free. STI tests are free. Doctors appointments are free. Pregnancy tests at the doctors are free. Protecting yourself is an essential part of a good sex life so take advantage of this amazing service.